Richard Clements

a more pointed question is should we have gone to war in WWII, it's
interesting how simular the two wars where and at the same time so
different. in Iraq, just like in WWII you had a murdering dictator, who
had goals of expansion, Hitler wanted Europe, Saddam wanted more middle
east oil. both had been in power at the fault of the Europions, Saddam was
left in power after desert storm, at the urging of our Europion allies,
Hitler came to power by economic sanctions placed on Germany in the
Rhineland Pact. Both had the worlds intelligence networks saying they
where working on weapons, and had weapons they shouldn't have had, now
Charlie before you get up set, the Poles found a large cash of mourder
rounds filled with mustard gas, our troops got hit with a road side device
that had a bio agent in it. they may have been pre desert storm, dosn't
matter he shouldn't have had them, add in the long list of other other
things we found long range rockets, etc, HE HAD WEAPONS THAT VIOLATED THE
U.N. RESOLUTIONS.

Hitler violated the Locarno Pact and began to occupy the Rineland while
the League of Nations sat on there thumbs, because the didn't want to think
about the problem, Hitler build up his military and no one did anything,
started invading other countries, nothing. and in that time look at how
many people he butchered.

Saddam was on his way to doing what Hitler did in 1936 when he violated
the Locarno Pact and moved into the Rhineland, he was taking shots at our
plains in the no-fly zone, butchering his people and thumbing his noise at
the U.N.

Both where started when the US was attacked by a different country then we
went after, Pearl Harbor, and 9/11.

here is where the the two become different, we talk about how Hitler was
responsible for the Holocaust, Five million Jews killed, and as many others
as well, Saddam killed around 500,000 that we know of with only 41 of the
270 suspected mass graves inspected that right there puts him in the same
league as Hitler, Stalin, and Mao for mass murderers, and stain was the
only other one to use WMD on his own people. So when Saddam started getting
uppity, when we had a President with some balls, we took action, assembled
a group 32 nations (there wasn't that many in WWII) and enforced the U.N.
resolutions they wouldn't. Iraqi Freedom was a well planed and surgical
with Collateral damage in the low hundreds, Unlike WWII where it was in
the hundreds of thousands. Iraqi freedom was also the fastest and most
effective military campaign in known World history surpassing the German
BlitzKrieg of WWII when you look at size of forces involved, and we where
very carful about hurting non-combatants, the Germans almost went out of
there way too. WWII was a constant blunder after blunder, to there credit
this had never been done before, the where making it up as they went along,
it was bloody and horrible, but it needed done and so they stayed to the
end. if you think the Iraqi insurgency is bad, look at the German
insurgency after WWII, the death toll was horrific on allied troops and
German citizens alike. the Iraqi insurgency is nothing compared it post
WWII Germany, add on top of that it took 6 years before the allies even
came up with a plan to put Germany back together again (the marshal plan),
how long has it been seance the end of major combat? and Iraqi now has an
elected government. add on what is going on in Lebanon, Libya (he did have
WMD), Iran is looking to have a massive Civil war to oust there opresive
government, Egypt is going to have it's first real election with multiple
parties, Afghanistan has an elected government. and even the Palistianians
are starting to calm down, more to the fact of Yasser Arifat's death, than
our action but there is finally going to be some stability in the middle
east.

with stability in the middle east the US is safer

Ned wrote:

On 11 Mar 2005 14:20:18 -0800, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

Not what I said. We should not go to war over someone else's problems.
And, yeah, this time around it's a Conservative problem. Conservative
Republicans, or those claiming to be, got us into this Iraq hole.

Hi Charlie, regarding that hole, are we there yet?