Mark Cooper

Default Should I re-wire for 220 volts?

I just acquired a new 6" jointer...the Craftsman which is made by Orion. It
has a (true) 1 HP motor and comes pre-wired for 110, but can be easily
rewired for 220. My questions a

1. What is the advantage of wiring for 220 vs. 110? Different Websites say
different things...some say the motor will run cooler, some say it will run
"better" (not defined!), some say it makes no difference whatsoever.
Opinions?

2. The 220 drop in my basement is the type with two straight prongs (at an
angle) and one L-shaped. The L-shaped prong carries the neutral. (It's a
30-amp "dryer outlet.") The jointer's manual says I must connect the ground
wire to a true ground. My question is...if I connect the ground wire to a
neutral instead of a true ground, am I still properly grounding the tool?

Total newbie here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark