dadiOH wrote:
I plan to sand lay a brick patio, walkway and some other areas. About
2,000 sq.ft.

The town where I live is demolishing some old brick buildings, I can get
some of the rubble. One of the buildings is built with cored bricks,
not sure of the other.

Note, wall brick and pavers are not the same thing: pavers will stand up
to the job far longer than some bricks. Your job may not last very long
using recycled brick.

Questions:

1. Any reason I couldn't lay cored bricks on the side rather than
flat?

Yep, this is exactly what I've seen done. the surface eventually spalled
off all the bricks in this application, possibly from repeated
freeze/thaw. In any case, sure you can do it tha way, the only reason
bricks are generally laid flat is that maximizes the surface a given brick
covers: you could put them on end if you've got the patience. The
finished patio will be thicker than average, but that's not a bad thing.

2. Anyone have any knowledge of how hard it is to chip off old lime
mortar vs cement mortar?

The old lime mortar is easier to remove or so I've been told. I've read a
repeort of someone who got a summer job doing that and generally they
picked up two bricks with mortar and clapped them together and the mortar
fell off.

3. Will I still be chipping mortar from old bricks in 2050?

You shouldn't. The one problem I had with stubborn mortar resulted in
higher brick breakage, but that was with portland based mortar. Buy extra
brick.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two devitations to get cool.