David W.E. Roberts wrote:

we have one of those floor standing lamps from Ikea which have an

uplighter
(150W screw in bulb) and a reading lamp.

All worked via a foot switch with a slider (rheostat?) for the

uplighter and
an on/off switch for the reading lamp.

The uplighter isn't working - hasn't been for some time as I thought

it was
the bulb and they don't sell them apart from in Ikea.

Any suggestions about what to do next (apart from just use the

reading
light)?

150w bulbs are standard kit in both GLS and halogen, just not very
popular domestically.

If you get 240v oc but 0v when bulb is in, you'd be right to say youve
got a high impedance source. I'd wire over the dimmer, so its on a
switch but doesnt dim, thats your most likely culprit at least.

NT