Thanks, everybody.

Having been a former business owner (swimming pools, GC more or less),
I agree with what Jim Ray said about good employees. I've experienced
first-hand that you can teach anybody a job, but if they're a turd,
they're a turd and there's nothing you can do to change that.

Regarding The Fingerless Fellow, a friend of mine's dad has an old 6"
jointer, and I went over there to edge joint some stock. This was a
couple of weeks ago, before I got my very own brand new Ridgid jointer
(Beep, beep!). We rolled the thing out, sandpapered some of the rust
off the table and fence and plugged it in. I noticed that the return
spring on the guard wasn't working, so I made a mental note to be
EEEEXTRA careful when running the stock through.

Anyway, about half way through, Jay's dad came out and started talking
to us, and he, too, had lost the tip of his index finger. To a
jointer. To THAT jointer. The one with the still-broken guard.

DUUUUHH!

-Phil Crow