Gerald Ross

George wrote:
The 3000 is here, and as I assemble to get my limiting dimension
requirements, I am mentally designing my stand.

I know that the table/cabinet type will work just fine. Ol' Blue has been
running on his for years. But - there isn't enough room under the ways to
get the shavings out, save with a hook and drag method. I'm sick of doing
it, and ready to try something new. My current crop of ideas include:

1) Rout openings in a plywood top below and between the bed members to
allow the shavings to fall.

2) Use parallel 2x3 for the lathe and cantilever a shelf between bed and
the wall to catch shavings and hide sharp-edged tools.

3) Platform mount, by elevating the attachment points with plywood
perpendicular to the length to gain an inch and a half of clearance.

Of these, the third seems most appealing, and not because it also seems the
easiest, but because it preserves the larger footprint of 1 over 2, and has
no hidden ledges to hide buildup of shavings under the ways.

Now, as a naturally suspicious type, I wonder if I'm not building to fail
with 3. Any thoughts?

I have a Delta with factory metal stand. I put a horizontal
shelf of 3/4 plywood about 18 inches from the floor with
angled holes to hold tools, and straight ones for centers,
chuck. There are dowel stubs to hold the faceplates & large
chuck.

There are two 2 x 2's across near the top with the back one
lower. On these is mounted a sheet of 1/4 plywood extending
over the shaving box in the back. This works extremely well
for me except for the flying shavings which hit a hanging
shower curtain and drop into the box. The thin plywood
vibrates just enough to keep the shavings sliding down it.

The stand is bolted to two pieces of 2x4 front to back and
the 2 by 4's are glued to the concrete floor with silicone.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Never judge a man till you have walked