Doug Miller

In article . com, wrote:

That's a good point about having one breaker turn off the circuit.

Not only is it required by Code, it's very dangerous *not* to do that: killing
only one breaker would still leave the unit fully energized. *You* would know
about the situation, but what about the next person who buys your house?

I'll be sure to do that. Perhaps I'll have to run a single cable
rated for 50 amps rather than having the conductor split, so to speak.

Always best to do it the right way.

The only other alternative would be to have a 50 amp breaker at the
service box that then splits into the two 30 amp runs, and the
recombines at the end to the 50 amp cable, taking into account proper
derating factors.

That's prohibited by the Code, though: the conductors are rated for only 30A,
but they're protected by a 50A breaker, and that's not permitted. What if one
conductor on one side comes loose? The stove (or whatever it is that you're
powering) will still pull its full 50A draw through the other side that's
still connected, overloading and overheating the wires, and possibly
[probably?] starting a fire.

Not safe. Don't do it.

--
Regards,