andrewpreece

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm just redecorating a room in my flat and have had to unscrew a
window from its frame to do some external repairs and replace a broken
pane since the window is not very accessible from outside.

I used putty, didn't realise how long it takes to set.

I obviously want to paint the putty to waterproof it when it has set.
However, I can't do that with the window in place (hence why I took it
out in the first place).

Is there any way I can speed the putty drying process - (say with a
hairdrier perhaps) - so I can get the window back in place sooner?

Or alternatively, is it ok to paint the putty before it has completely
set.

Thanks

I have painted it after 24 hours before, though this is unsatisfactory, and
can
lead to the paint developing mini-corrugations. When you paint 24 old putty
with varnish, if you are not extremely careful you can see it smearing into
the paint.

So, it's possible to paint after 24 hours but not good practise. I can only
suggest
keeping the frame in a warm draught, I'd have thought a fan heater would be
better
than a hairdrier, but the principle is sound, and keep it up for a day at
least :-(

My solution was to tape plastic onto the window frame to stop the draught,
so I could
let the putty cure for longer, but it could be difficult to do this if you
are out during the
day especially if it is a downstairs window, for security reasons.

Andy.