Bob G.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:02:33 -0500, Keith
wrote:

I have been cutting some oak with a Delta unisaw and the blade set to 45
degrees. The edges don't seem real smooth at 45 degrees but are smooth as glass
at 90 degree. I'm using a WWII which is about a month old. The cuts are along
the grain and seem to be tearing along the wood fibers. The poplar wood I was
using before seemed very smooth at 45 degrees. Any suggestions.
Thanks

You are ripping not cross cutting..if I read you post correctly...
Now I would expect your 1 month old WW!! blade is not yet very dull so
I am going to rule that out....

You seem to indicate that the fibers are sheared and not smoothly cut
off along the entire surface of the cut..not just sheared or
splintered along the edge of the cut... so we can rule out left vs
right hand tilt saws...(lol..had to bring that up even thought I
mainly use a right tilt and increase the lightly hood of splintering
on the "good side of a ripped miter)...

My guess is that when you tilt the blade you actually loose alignment
of the blade to the miter slot...the rear of your blade shifts a
little closer or further away from the slot ..at a 90 degree angle
everything is in alignment. front to back...

Just my Guesses...

Bob Griffiths