Charles A. Sherwood

one mechanic said "grand cherokee" the others said "cherokee" Again, I
can't say if it was anything but this one shop's experience.

all I can do is relate my personal experience.
I bought my grand new in 96 and I am the only driver. It has 6 cylinder
4L motor with select trac T-case. The select trac allows 2wd, full time
and part time 4wd. This is the primary reason I choose the jeep
over the other vehicles like the exploder and blazer which had
inferior 4wd systems (at least at that time).

This vehicle has 63k miles on it. I have done normal items like brakes,
battery, tires. I still have the original exhaust system. I replaced
the shocks because I wanted to and the monroes seem a little bit
better. I do all the routine maintainence myself which is pretty
much oil changes, grease and coolent changes. This vehicle is driven
regularly and was my only vehicle until the last 3 years. It is still
my primary vehicle. I drive it to work and I have taken it off road
in the mountains of Colorado. This vehicle gets washed about 5 times
a year whether it needs it or not and the body shows no rust.
It was rust proofed by the dealer when new.

The AC has been worked on a couple times and has always been covered
under warrenty.

Currently the shocks on the rear hatch need to be replaced, the
transmission oil pain is oily but apparently there is no significant
leak. I just noticed a oil leak in the transmision lines to the
radiator which could be minor or could be significant.

IMO this is pretty damn good for a vehicle that is 9 years old.
chuck