The Real Tom

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:36:54 GMT, "Rich256" wrote:

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
I recently moved into a new house and found a pair of 3-way switches
controlling a hallway light from 2 locations that when one switch is off
the other switch doesn't work and vice versa. The wiring doesn't
resemble anything I've seen before for wiring these types of switches.
Can someone help me straighten this out?

Thank you!

Wires from the Circuit Breaker to First Switch
White -- Spliced to Red on the set of wires going to the second

switch
Black -- Double Screw Side (brass)

Wires from First Switch to Second Switch:
Double Screw Side (black screw) via white wire to Single Screw side
brass screw
Single Screw Side (brass screw) via black wire to Double Screw side
brass screw
Circuit Breaker White spliced to red wire and attached to Double
Screw side black screw

Looks all wrong to me. Here is the correct way to wi

http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/3wayswitch.html

imho:

Just a warning, not all 3ways have different collored screws. So look
for the word "common" imprinted on the body by the terminal. Infact,
reguardless of whether colored screws or not, do this. Don't want to
be messed up by someone 'screwing' around. :-P

hth,

tom