The Real Tom

On 13 Mar 2005 14:02:55 -0500, wrote:

m Ransley wrote:

I think 30v is more than induced curent...

It's voltage, not current, and easy to see on an open circuit next to a
powered conductor... 120 V across 10 pF/foot over 100', ie 1000 pF, ie
1/(2Pi60C) = 2.6 meg in series with a 10 meg meter would make it show 95 V.

You seem very determined to show your ignorance :-)

Nick

Redo your problem Nick, your problem solving for was for a single
conductor, and measuring voltage end to end. Not for two(or more)
conductors running side by side, and measuring voltage at one end.
The voltage induced in one conductor, would be exacly the same as the
induced in the others, therefe for no potential would exist between
the conductors(as in OP's story) where the voltage should be sensed,
between the conductors and an immediate grounding source(not the ECG,
since that is one of the parallel conductors).

I'll give you an A for effort, Faraday would be proud. :-P

BTW, the NEC covers taking steps to minimize induced voltages and
inductive heating, even for common fokes, it gives enough information
about how running conductors close together will reduce/elminate it.
Just that I see often that digital meters show voltage, on dead legs,
and I've chatted with others about how to ensure you have no juice
left. One smart chap said, cind the ECG and Neutral are bonded, why
not bond the ungrounded(hot) conductors, we cam up with an idea that
you can bond all three with a shorted out three prong plug. Now
voltage should be ZERO, but we figured come time to close the breaker,
we would forget it in place, and melt it.

later,

tom