Peter Saffrey

Default Removing panel from PVC-U door

Hi there,

I'm trying to install a cat-flap in my front door, which is a
two-panel PVC-U type. The lower panel has a raised pattern on it, so I
can't fit it on that panel. The advice I have received is to remove
the lower panel and buy a replacement panel, and then fit the cat-flap
to that.

My problem is with actually removing the panel. I assumed that what I
needed to do was remove the black rubbery seal from the indoor side of
the panel and then unclip the plastic mounting and lift out the panel.
However, the black seal is pretty certain it wants to stay where it
is... I've managed to lever out a few inches with a pair of pliers and
a lot of effort, but this is making me wonder whether I'm doing
something wrong. The bit of the seal that goes under the panel is flat
with ridges on it, but even in the section I've managed to pull out,
it seems to continue around the edge of the panel. My questions are
these:

(i) Am I trying to remove a seal that should not be removed? If so,
how am I supposed to get the panel out? Is there some other technique
I should be using?

(ii) When I replace the panel, do I also replace the seal? If I still
have to remove the seal I think I may leave it in a bit of a state...

Peter