Rick

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:31:33 -0000, "Holly, in France"
wrote:

Rick wrote:
On 14 Mar 2005 11:49:06 -0800, "legin"
wrote:

Hi all,
Hoping to start my self build shortly and the thought of power has
crossed my mind. Have been looking at genertors and obviously these
would do the job but they use 2-3 gallons a day if run constantly,
Average say £10 per day = £50 per week, would soon add up. I know it
could be started and stopped with each mix but this is more work and
hassle. A thought came to mind. I have several van batteries about
that still hold a decent charge. A 600w invetrter can be had for
approx £60- £70. me thinks ah that'l do nicely. However one of the
inverter's destructions says it won't work drills, saws in fact
anythink with a motor as it is a modified sine wave. Has any one
tried it ? Any other ideas from the group. Yes, I could possible tap
a neighbour up but don't want to burn my bridges just yet.

Regards

legin

I'd look for a diesel generator,

Me too. Failing that a diesel mixer if possible, or if not a petrol
mixer. Th generator will run all the other tools as well as the mixer
though as the job progresses, as long as it's big enough. Don't forget
you might need to run an angle grinder and boil the kettle too :-)

and a farmer (or other) that can
supply red diesel. My local famer sells at 25 litres for a fiver, and
he is making on the deal.

Can't you buy it at the pump? Maybe not in urban areas?? Or as heating
oil? Some boilers (inside ones, Rayburns etc) use kerosene but others
use diesel.

There are a few places I know that sell Red Diesel, for use in diggers
and the like, but its 40p a litre, so they are making a HUGE profit on
it, which is why I found a friendly farmer.

Beware, if you put this in your car, and get caught, its gonna cost
you a pile of cash, and the "red" can be detected at tiny
concentrations.

Rick