John A. Weeks III wrote:

Are the 30 amp circuits single ended or double ended? I have
seen them both ways. The 50 amp appliance is likely a double-ended
unit, which means it needs 220 volts rather than 110. If you
know that the two 30s are single ended and on opposite sides of
the AC mains, you might be able to make it work. It would be far
better to put in the right wiring. You might be able to get by
putting in a 50AMP breaker, and using the 30 amp wiring, assuming
it is properly sized. You are most likely going to need an
electrician in to look at it (and do the work), so bite the bullet
and call one rather than risking killing yourself or burning up
the appliance.

In RV's, the old wiring standard was 30AMP, while the new standard
is 50AMP. RV shops sell 30AMP to 50AMP converters. But these
things do not run 50AMP appliances in the RV. Rather, they have
the main AC on one side of the circuit, and everything else on
the other side of the circuit. The 50AMP conversion is really
two parallel 25 AMP circuits.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications

http://www.johnweeks.com

The two 30 amps runs each have 240 V potential (+120/-120). The 50 amp
appliance also requires 240 V (+120/-120). So far, so good. I've been
told that if the two circuits are running close enough, I might have to
derate the amp capacity per code. I'll have to look into that.