N. Thornton

Default Steamers

"Alex" wrote in message ...
"Sam" wrote in message

We bought a reconditioned Goblin steamer a few years back. It was a good
deal at £34 half-price. It was good at defrosting, tile-cleaning, window
cleaning - only did that once coz a squeegy and bucket is just as good,
cleaning the years of wax polish from quarry tiles before sealing and best
of all removing dirt and stains from a cream sofa. Used it loads and then
the hose failed and I thought it needed a new one - turns out on recent
inspection that the inner hose had come off the nozzle mount inside the
outer hose casing. Was quite a hassle to get inside the hose to fix it -
hidden screws etc. - but managed so now it's fixed I expect I'll use it
loads again especially on the long since mottled dingy cream sofa. Don't
think I would have wanted to pay full price maybe.

I borrowed one from work, not sure what it was now, but it was huge, and I
was informed that it was pretty much the best available. Best at what I
ask?! Cleaning carpets - rubbish (1001 cleaner works better), burnt food on
the cooker - didn't shift it, dirty walls - no better than scrubbing with
flash, cleaning the car engine was OK.

Certainly not impressed at all with it.

Alex

I believe their traditional forte is cleaning off grease, and are thus
used on cars (and I would guess probably commercial kitchens). Though
when people say steam cleaning in the auto trade they dont necessarily
use a steam cleaner, it seems to have just become an expression
meaning a thorough clean.

How they would have any power to shift anything more than grease and
easily dissolved muck I never understood. And how they were promoted
as green when they are surely the most energy guzzling method of
cleaning I dont know.

For cleaning upholstery I did one item with a wet cloth and washing up
liquid. It was in a real grim state and the cloth and detergent did a
great job. (Also tried dry cleaning solvent which was twice as fast.)

So I'm not sure why one would need to use steam at home, but maybe
someone else does know.

Regards, NT