Nick Atty wrote:
On 13 Mar 2005 12:10:32 -0800, wrote:

I imagine a much neater result can be got by snaking microbore under
the floorboards as simple ufh. Fit service valve to keep the flow

rate
down so temp doesnt get too high; would that work?

Well if we'd thought of it, we'd have had UFH put in. But we

didn't.

And all the strengthening that went in to change this from being only

ceiling to being also a floor would get in the way.

I dont know what structure youev got there, but with the usual wood
joist adffair it would mean lifting all the boards and notching or
drilling the joists. Not half as easy as a fan.

I was originally going to sugges that adding a small silent low rev

fan
can substantially improve a rad's output, but it looks like you've

got
it all worked out.

I dunno. That's a very nice idea indeed.

With a temperature operated switch on inlet to the rad, it would only
come on when needed.

I might try rigging something up as an experiment to try it. Even

if I
used a small spare computer fan and it made a bit of noise, it would

be
a good proof of concept.

If it worked, it would be cheaper and easier than my other plans.

Miles easier, no need to put a 2nd rad in at all.

The key to making fans silent is to get them down to around 1000rpm.
You can do that with puter fans by wiring 2 in series on 12v, or else
feeding them all on 6v. Of course lower speed equals less air movement
per fan.

I'd try 4 puter fans per standard rad, along the base fanning upwards,
and work from there.

Power consumption is so small that a thermostat, although ideal, can
always wait till things get warmer.

NT