Spencer

The Caswell Black Oxide kit works very well:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

See my results: http://www.ebiz2000.com/hsm

My parts were made from 12L14. The trick to good blackening was to
clean them thoroughly, dip them for 3-5 min., wipe them off dry with a
clean paper towel (some of the black comes off... this is good), and
dip them again for 3-5 min. Follow with the recommended sealer. Worked
*great*. The black after the first dip is mottled, after the second
dip it is a nice, even, deep black.

I suppose a third would be even better, but this application did not
demand perfection.

Spencer

DE wrote:
Opinions please:

I'm wanting to finish some of the things I make at home with
a black oxide type coating. It looks like the options
are Birchwood Casey, CaswellPlating and the ToolBlack
sold in Enco and others. Cold type. Any others I've missed?

Is there anyone of these better than the other?
Strong and weeks points worth considering?

The only thing I've tried is the lye/fertilizer mix
which I couldn't get hot enough to work well.
Kind of dangerous boiling lye also.

Tnks

DE

News==----