Nicholas

Staining is used for a number of reasons the main ones are...

....It can help match up with the furniture already in the home

....Each persons view of what looks good differs. To one person the natural
colour of the oak is the best, to another a dark stain that almost
obliterates the colour of the timber is preferred. I tend towards a medium
stain. Hence Morrells (not a shareholder) produce hundreds of different
stains.

....It can bring out the grain and in the case of Oak the 'figuring' quite
remarkably and so enhance the finished piece

There's a table on my website that has the Morrells medium stain on it. Not
a good photo but you can see how the figuring is brought out ...

Cheers

Nicholas

Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net