Andy Hall

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:48:21 -0000, "colin"
wrote:

What's the best way to finish an oak dining table. Should I stain it then
apply varnish or is staining enough if applied every so often

What finish and what level of protection do you want?

If you are seating only adults and the worst thing that can happen is
the occasional accidental spill of red wine that is quickly mopped up,
then stain and wax if you want a more rustic appearance or stain, some
kind of sealer and wax if you want something a touch smoother.

OTOH, if it's for babies and toddlers, you might want to go for heavy
grade polyurethane. Bear in mind with this, that if it gets marred,
you have to strip it and completely redo it.
Personally, I think it's sacrilege to cover hardwoods with shiny
varnishes that make them look like plastic. You would be better off
with something cheap in pine.
A good solution is simply to use a protective cloth or cover when the
kids are around.

Another good compromise solution is Danish Oil. This is somewhere
between oil and varnish. It dries reasonably hard and protects better
than just wax but without creating the horrible plastic look.
It can also be lightly sanded and refinished without stripping
completely.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl