The Natural Philosopher

Crafty Bugger wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:11:55 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Crafty Bugger wrote:

I think it's called Ellis board. It's a heat resistant board used to
line flues.

I need to saw up quite a bit of it and it seems quite dusty. It looks
like asbestos!

I think you can buy Ellis Board today. Try a BM for info (sheet
materials?). What makes you think it's Ellis Board?

I assume you mean "I don't think you can buy Ellis Board today."

I was recommended to buy some Ellis board (for a project I'm working
on) by a bloke at B&Q. They didn't sell it, but I just buy it at my
local Plumb-Centre. They seem to know what i mean when I ask for a
few sheets of it.

No such product has shown up on any web searches: I've never heard of it.

The material that is normally used is Multiboard, Maxiboard, Masterboard
or Supalux.

It's fairly crumbly stuff, and looks like there are flakes of metal
embedded in it.

Mica probably. If it exists.

Mica in Gypsum. If anything worse than just plain gypsum in tems of
falling to pieces.

Completely harmeless of course - no asbestors bearing board is on
general sale these days.

If there is another name for it I don't know it.

What do you mean try a BM?

Builders mercahnts.