mac davis

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:24:11 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

No idea what your lathe is like as to size, etc., but this might give you an
idea or 2..

the best stand I've had so far for the Jet mini is a workmate... my new stand is
being modeled after the top...
Picture a 2by? frame stable enough to hold the lathe with a "workmate like" gap
under it... and a plywood box roughly following the contours of the workmate
legs... you end up with the lathe suspended over sort of a plywood funnel...

I'm putting a 4" DC hose on the bottom of the funnel... not for dust, but to
empty the funnel, because what doesn't drop into the box gets pushed into it as
it gets in my way.. lol

The 3000 is here, and as I assemble to get my limiting dimension
requirements, I am mentally designing my stand.

I know that the table/cabinet type will work just fine. Ol' Blue has been
running on his for years. But - there isn't enough room under the ways to
get the shavings out, save with a hook and drag method. I'm sick of doing
it, and ready to try something new. My current crop of ideas include:

1) Rout openings in a plywood top below and between the bed members to
allow the shavings to fall.

2) Use parallel 2x3 for the lathe and cantilever a shelf between bed and
the wall to catch shavings and hide sharp-edged tools.

3) Platform mount, by elevating the attachment points with plywood
perpendicular to the length to gain an inch and a half of clearance.

Of these, the third seems most appealing, and not because it also seems the
easiest, but because it preserves the larger footprint of 1 over 2, and has
no hidden ledges to hide buildup of shavings under the ways.

Now, as a naturally suspicious type, I wonder if I'm not building to fail
with 3. Any thoughts?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing