AlexW

Not a reliable source of info then.

Are you sure they are not reliable?

Before getting into any of that one needs a bit of clarity. The term
Asbestos covers 3 different substances, 2 of which are a real health
risk, and one of which, which comprises nearly all asbestos found, is
harmless. If the asbestos product is blue or brown, caution is needed,
but if its white, white asbestos, chrysotile, bonded in cement, is a
safe building material.

Yes ... but how do you identify each substance *reliably* - genuine
question. This seems a fairly important point.

I shall restate my question: Are you advocating sawing white asbestos
cement products?

Thinking on this has changed since the 80s: initially the 3 types were
not studied separately, but more a recent study showed it is blue and
brown that have killed people, not white, which has materially
different properties.

Thinking does indeed change and I am sure your recent study reflects the
current thinking, although I haven't read it ... in my case I was not
really prepared to gamble at all.

Professional n.: Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood
or as a career

Or "professionally" adjective, "characterized by or conforming to the
technical or ethical standards of a professional".

(and are looking at a stint!).

I doubt it, but its veryc ommon practice, either way.

It may be a common practice but it is a little unfair to tar the whole
"profession" with the same brush ... which is what your initial post
seemed to imply.

I think thats at the lower end of asbestos disposal charges, but £250
per person per less than a day is a bit on the steep side. Especialy
considering disposal is free (see the site you reffed).

Well disposal could have been free for my domestic asbestos waste.
However the refuse site probably couldn't be persuaded to allow a van
with an asbestos company logo on the side to dispose of it FoC, even
with my assurances ... so their margin on this work was probably less
than you are assuming (I think you knew that really though!).