Fred Holder

Hello George,

I've had a Nova 3000 and now a Nova DVR 3000 for several years. Initially, for a
few months, I had my Nova 3000 mounted on a flat table. When I built its stand,
I used 2x6 inch boards for the entire frame. The top was two 2x6's space apart
about 2" to 3", I'm not sure of the space. I always intended to install a ramp
to make the shavings slide out the back into a shavings box. I wound up putting
a sheet of 3/4" plywood over the back side of the stand to help with stability
and never have installed the slanted tray to keep the shavings from falling on
the stuff below. It works great and I just vacuum the shavings out of the
bottom.

Incidentally mine has a compartment at the bottom that I filled with railroad
spikes (I had several buckets full of them on hand). The lathe stand doesn't
move.

I used the basic plan in the Nova 3000 manual, but used 2"x6" stock instead
because I had a stack of that size boards that were four feet long.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , George says...

The 3000 is here, and as I assemble to get my limiting dimension
requirements, I am mentally designing my stand.

I know that the table/cabinet type will work just fine. Ol' Blue has been
running on his for years. But - there isn't enough room under the ways to
get the shavings out, save with a hook and drag method. I'm sick of doing
it, and ready to try something new. My current crop of ideas include:

1) Rout openings in a plywood top below and between the bed members to
allow the shavings to fall.

2) Use parallel 2x3 for the lathe and cantilever a shelf between bed and
the wall to catch shavings and hide sharp-edged tools.

3) Platform mount, by elevating the attachment points with plywood
perpendicular to the length to gain an inch and a half of clearance.

Of these, the third seems most appealing, and not because it also seems the
easiest, but because it preserves the larger footprint of 1 over 2, and has
no hidden ledges to hide buildup of shavings under the ways.

Now, as a naturally suspicious type, I wonder if I'm not building to fail
with 3. Any thoughts?