Alex H. Sallwey

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:29:54 -0500, the inscrutable RWL
spake:

I'm considering getting something with more oomph than a Dremel, that
doesn't slow down when you put pressure on something you're working
on. I'd prefer something portable like the Foredom rather than a flex
shaft for my drill press.

All of them do slow down, but the Foredoms and knockoffs do less so.
Power is about halfway between the Dremel and a full-sized electric
die grinder, maybe a bit less. I picked up one of the little $8
chiwanese knockoffs last week and it's surprisingly powerful for its
size, but only with a 1/8" diameter or smaller tool on it.

All you probably have to do is buy a Foredom handpiece.

[...]

I recall that there are attachment handles for Foredom tools, like
handles for checkering gunstocks, and other things like that, that I
assume are interchangeable with all Foredom tools.

Do the knockoffs accept Foredom accessories (not sure what to call
these - accessory handles?) or do you have to get a real Foredom
grinder to use the accessories?

Not that I know of, but I haven't checked in depth.

Hmmm, I bought one of the knockoffs, grey, flex shaft, 1/8th" drill bit. I
bought a Foredom handpiece for 1/4" bits and it works great. Foredom cables
can be used for replacing the flex shaft if you break it.

What should I expect to pay for a Foredom vs a knockoff?

Any other considerations that I haven't asked about?

The HF was $50 out the door, about a quarter os what Foredom wants.
That was good enough for me to give it a trial, and I'm happy.
I'm also extremely frugal. squeak, squeak, squeak

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"