AlexW

AlexW wrote:

Crafty Bugger wrote:

Never heard of this board.

But if you suspect its asbestos then sawing or taking power tools to

it

is a really bad idea.

not really. there is a minor risk but the public has been scared
witless over them without good cause. You do more dangerous things
every day without batting an eyelid.

I have read this somwhere (although I can't remember where) and also was
told this by a "professional" removal company who did engage in
theatrics with dust masks and disposable overalls etc. They did say that
the risk to health from asbestos cement products is very low unless you
generate a lot of dust and that I could have done the job myself taking
the right precautions ... but I don't know what Ellis Board is so would
not advise cutting it it up this way.

Are you advocating cutting asbestos with tools/power tools?

Have you considered professional removal?

Professional removers will be happy to charge you a fortune for their
theatrics, and leave it in someone elses dustbin for normal disposal by
the binmen.

Maybe. That was not my experience with the ones I employed to remove my
ancient garage, although they did admit that there was good money in it,
and that it would be a growing business over the coming years.

BTW, if they fly tip asbestos they clearly are not professional (and are
looking at a stint!).

Its the disposal fees that are the real killer ... last summer the quote
I had was £90+vat a ton in a skip + skip hire on top. I could have taken
it to my local tip for free, but then there's the bagging issue and
transporting bulk amounts of the stuff. The company I employed took my
garage away for £500 pounds, it was less than a days work for 2 people
.... for me this was a reasonable fee, which is why I suggested this option.

Alex.