David W.E. Roberts

"Harry" wrote in message
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front

lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co

or
whoever it belongs to?

AFAIK it will belong to you - sewerage on a private property is usually the
responsibility of the house owner and only becomes the responsibility of the
water board (or whatever) once it gets to the main sewer.

Where soil drainage from other properties pases over you land I think the
pipework etc. is still owned by you and they have right of passage or
whatever :-)

So unless the main sewer is routed over your land (which could happen) then
I think it is yours to do with as you will.

HTH
Dave R