NSM wrote:
Wait till you price an overhaul on a computer for any car.

Ooh, the big scary computer in the car! They've only been putting
electronic computers in every car on the road for about 20 years now.
I wonder when people will stop being afraid of them.

The rebuilt computer for my '89 Chevy was $100 exchange in about 1998 and
was in stock on the shelf at the chain parts store. I drove up to the
store with my intermittently failing computer, went in and got the new
part, and went back out to the parking lot. I unplugged the old one,
swapped the PROM from the old one to the new one, and did some resistance
and voltage checks as specified on the sheet that came with the new
computer to make sure I wasn't about to fry the new one. I plugged in the
new one, drove around the block a couple of times, and came back to the
parts store to turn in my old one for the core credit. I put about
30,000 more miles on that car before selling it, with the replacement
computer still running fine. Yes, it was probably $10 worth of electronics,
but having to spend $100 and an hour on a car with over 120,000 miles on
it seems like a reasonable deal to me.

Matt Roberds