Jeff Wisnia

Wayne Whitney wrote:
On 2005-03-13, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Then "those people" should do what I did; installed a "tempering
valve" so that the DHW stays below a scalding temperature.

May I ask what tempering valve you used? I'm considering doing
exactly that. Set water heater to 140 F, put the vanities and shower
on a tempering valve at 110 F or so, use 140F for the dishwasher and
clothes washer (I wash sheets in hot to kill dust mites) . I'm not
sure about the kitchen sink. I'm also unsure if it is better to have
two different hot water piping systems (hot and hotter) with a single
big tempering valve, or install individual tempering valves at each
fixture. Since I'm redoing all the plumbing, I can do either.

Cheers, Wayne

I used a 3/4" Watts tempering valve, they're available at any plumbing
supply center. They have a knob adjustable temperature seting. The
thermostatic guts are a little like those in an automobile engine
coolant thermostat and can be easily changed out if and when they fail
without having to break out the soldering gear. I've had to stick in new
parts once after ten years of service, it's coming up on twenty years
now and it's still working OK. Wish I could say the same for our
electric water heaters, I can only get about six years out of them
before something starts leaking. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia