Ed Huntress

"Robin S." wrote in message

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

And, #2 is sorta being abandoned, even by some die-hards.

I've always thought that rule two is a good one, although not always east

follow.

Regards,

Robin

As Guido says, the prohibition against ending a sentence with a preposition
is an arbitrary one that crept into English by the back door. It shouldn't
be a grammar rule at all. It should be a matter of learning to write
pleasing sentences.

Use the one that sounds better in context. In some contexts ("That is a rule
up with which I will not put.") it sounds pedantic and wordy. Better is
"That is a rule I won't put up with."

Other times, it sounds better to avoid hanging the prep on the end:
"Thousands of people came to the march, of which you and I were only two,"
versus "Thousands of people came to the march, which you and I were only two
of."

That's a rule to use by ear. Then it becomes a matter of how good your ear
is for English. g

--
Ed Huntress