john

Tim Williams wrote:

"Bruce W.1" wrote in message
news
The toughest thing I can think of is JB-Weld glue.

The *weakest* thing I can think of is JB-Weld. I don't know how they say
"strong as steel" on the same side of the package it shows "2000PSI". Steel
is 30,000PSI *yield*.

The strongest low melting alloy by far would be Zamak 27. Just take a bunch
of US pennies, melt, strain out the older copper ones (or sort beforehand,
1983 and newer are zinc) and add 27% aluminum by weight. 30-60ksi (1ksi =
1,000PSI) tensile strength, but almost no elongation (1-3%, although
supposedly similar alloys can be hot forged). Melting point is 900°F, so
can be done on the stove if you have a substantial enough burner. The
aluminum will be a bit more stubborn so you might want to do this on your
grill, which I'm sure your landlord has no reservations about.

As for castable plastics or composities, I wouldn't know (I prefer to melt
shiny things . Anyone?

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

you got to find something that has carbon fibers in it, or that you can
add fibers to it if you want to get more strength out of it.

John