Tim Williams

"Bruce W.1" wrote in message
news
The toughest thing I can think of is JB-Weld glue.

The *weakest* thing I can think of is JB-Weld. I don't know how they say
"strong as steel" on the same side of the package it shows "2000PSI". Steel
is 30,000PSI *yield*.

The strongest low melting alloy by far would be Zamak 27. Just take a bunch
of US pennies, melt, strain out the older copper ones (or sort beforehand,
1983 and newer are zinc) and add 27% aluminum by weight. 30-60ksi (1ksi =
1,000PSI) tensile strength, but almost no elongation (1-3%, although
supposedly similar alloys can be hot forged). Melting point is 900°F, so
can be done on the stove if you have a substantial enough burner. The
aluminum will be a bit more stubborn so you might want to do this on your
grill, which I'm sure your landlord has no reservations about.

As for castable plastics or composities, I wouldn't know (I prefer to melt
shiny things . Anyone?

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."