B.B.

Default Vertical Welding Question

So in class we did a little vertical fillet welding, bottom to top,
arc welding, 6013 rods, IIRC. Anyhoo, I got pretty good at it, except
that I have hell establishing a puddle at the bottom without it falling
out a time or two. I asked the teacher (well, a sub) and all he did was
tell me to preheat my rod by holding the arc a little long for a bit
after striking it. I'm pretty sure I was doing that anyway, since I
made a habit of it, but I went and tried anyhow, no change.
How to get a puddle established when welding up?
Another question, possibly related: Sitting and thinking, I believe
my technique might have been wrong, after I got a puddle going, even if
I did get a good weld out of it. I had my rod pointed upwards into the
weld just a little, maybe 10 degrees or so. Is that correct, or was I
supposed to lean it the other way? Pointing it down into the weld would
be more consistent with the way I hold it when welding flat. And would
that be the source of my starting problem?
Spring break now, so can't play anymore for a couple of weeks. Damn
vacation!

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/