TURTLE

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article LvYYd.215960$0u.189579@fed1read04, "SQLit"
wrote:

"blueman" wrote in message
I was working last night on an electrical circuit that was shut off at
the breaker.

Nevertheless, the voltage from neutral to ground and from hot to
ground both measured about 30V. This was enough to cause my voltage
probe to buzz and to even cause a compact flourescent to light
dimly. The current across the circuit however measure just 0.7 mA.

Am I correct in assuming that this is probably just induced voltage
from neighboring wires that run alongside it or is there potentially
something more serious and sinister going on?

Thanks!

You fail to tell where you were working. If it was in your home then you
definitely have some wiring problems. Neutral grounded at than the service
comes to mind.

Nonsense. He's probably using a digital multimeter, which is exquisitely
sensitive to very low amperage induced currents. If he uses an analog
multimeter, the "problem" will very likely disappear. There is no reason to
suspect wiring problems of any sort unless these readings are seen with an
analog meter as well.

--
Regards,

This is Turtle.

He did state that his compact flourescent light would cause it to light up
dimly. Mill-Voltage does not light up flourescent lites to light up. I thought
that at the first but the flourescent lite took that ideal out.

TURTLE