AlexW

John wrote:
My 2m high fence posts with 2 x 2 m approx wood panels have rotted at the
base where they were put in concrete foundations about 1 foot in diam
probably 25 years ago. I don't particularly want to dig all the concrete
out which could take a week. Is it a good idea to clean out the 3" x 3"
holes in the existing foundations and set new steel fence spikes in them
with concrete then attach to new fence posts. Or will the standard spikes
from the sheds just rust away in a few years, especially if the length needs
to be trimmed, exposing bare steel. These seem to be painted rather than
galvanised. Appearence is not an issue as they won't be visible.

thanks for any advice

john

I don't think most spike type fixings are designed to be set in concrete
(may be wrong here though).

A quick fix might be to clean & fill the holes & fix bolt down plate
style fixings to the top of existing concrete plugs with rawl bolts
assuming they are reasonably flat. I did this patching up an old fence
once and it worked OK (although I did the job properly 3 years later
when other parts of the fence collapsed).

I also hand dug some of the plugs out ... won't be doing that again in a
hurry ;-)

HTH,

Alex.