Sam Goldwasser

writes:

Hi,

Well, having a bad day and burned part of the PCB on 2 motherboards. I
was installing into an old Compaq case for my neighbor. I left a
mounting screw where it shouldn't have been. Two motherboards later I
realized the mistake. What I get for doing this at 11 PM after a long
day at work. Thankfully these were cheap PCChips boards so I was only
out 85 dollars.

Long story short, there is an isolated part of the motherboard that is
damaged. If I tape a small piece of aluminum foil to bridge the gap in
the PCB track the motherboard will boot up however the display flickers
and one can tell that the motherboard is not working so well. Any
advice on how to fix damage on the surface of a PCB caused by a short
like this? I don't want to simply try and return these motherboards
since I think this would be rather dishonest given my mistake. Not
much experience in small electronics repair so any obvious advice is
appreciated.

If the trace is visible, it's a simple matter to solder a jumper wire
over the damaged part. Possibly nothing else is wrong.

--- sam