snowdog

Figured that out a few years ago with acoustic guitars. Couldn't figure out
why guitars cost so %$#@* much, had the opportunity and a one year
assignment to Panama without the family and said "lets give it a try." 8
months, $500 in materials and about 300+ man-hours later, I learned why
acoustic guitars (the good ones) are so expensive, of course a lot of the
time would be better spent if you do multiple items simultaneously, but
still.

Now, if a friend sees mine and asks what it would cost for me to do one for
him, I tell to go to one of the guitar shops find the most expensive guitar
in the place add about 25% to the price. If he is still interested, we will
talk.

You're right until you actually sit down and do it, you really have no
concept of what goes into a project (to do it by hand).

The ones I really feel for are the custom cabinet guys. I went to a dental
equipment mfg for a class once, they also make all those cabinets you see in
the dentists office. The guy in the cabinet shop was showing me how they
cut wood. Tell the computer which cabinets set you want, feed in the stock
listed on the stock listed on the screen. The machine cuts and marks all
the pieces and spits them out the other side, takes about 10-15 minutes.
Try that on a table saw!

John C.

"Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Most people have no clue how much labor/skill/tools goes into anything.
They've never done it. I've bemoaned the fact a number of times &
then found myself in the same situation.

I wanted some curtains. I looked in Sears & thought everything was
ugly & it cost $50. I wasn't going to pay $50 for a couple of rags to
hang on a window! So I made my own.

I'd never done that before & was clueless. I wound up with about 12
hours in, spent $30 on materials & the bottoms of the curtains aren't
very even, but I like them. I now think that $50 for a set of curtains
that I like is a bargain! G Live & learn.