Cliff

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:55:04 GMT, Rick Cook
wrote:

Except, of course, there is an alternate convention which is quite
clearly distinct from the 'single quote inside double quotes' convention.

If you make up a signification, you are causing confusion.

If you'd bother to look you'll see I did not make it up. The fact that
it is not in the major stylebooks does not mean it is not in wide use.
In fact I support the single-quote convention because it _decreases_
confusion.

Look at the sentence above with the single quotes. If I had used double
quotes the reader would be entitled to ask who I was quoting.

How? If you did not say when you did it (IF that's what you did ..
and you DID NOT) you would be a very poor writer, would you not?

Or worse yet, to assume that I was repeating something someone else had said --

Which seems to be *exactly* what you are doing with your odd sources
& arguments based on "he did it first" and "I csan find bad examples."

BTW, Who did I just quote? LOL ... I'd wager that you were not
all that confused.
--
Cliff