Cliff

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:31:09 GMT, Rick Cook
wrote:

So, I'm really curious about where you came up with this "meta meaning"
stuff. That's a term from linguistics. Maybe it's in the Style Manual for
Linguists. 'Don't know. I've never heard of it if they publish one. g

It's more commonly referred to as the "use-mention distinction". (See:
http://www.unconventional-wisdom.com/WAW/ROBERT.html) It apparently
originated in philosophy, but it occurs in linguistics and many other
fields. It is also common in ordinary writing.

Should we ask about Wittgenstein & the "meaning of meaning"?
--
Cliff