The Real Tom

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:51:17 GMT, blueman wrote:

I was working last night on an electrical circuit that was shut off at
the breaker.

Nevertheless, the voltage from neutral to ground and from hot to
ground both measured about 30V. This was enough to cause my voltage
probe to buzz and to even cause a compact flourescent to light
dimly. The current across the circuit however measure just 0.7 mA.

Am I correct in assuming that this is probably just induced voltage
from neighboring wires that run alongside it or is there potentially
something more serious and sinister going on?

Thanks!

IHMO:

Good question! I've run into this alot, and at the power plant I
worked at, when you opened a breaker our electrictions would verify no
induced voltage. We had lots of high amps cables running side by
side. Many times we were required to put in grounding straps/bars to
cancel out the induced voltage.

Now as for 30v's that is kinda high, but around the definition of
low-voltage(24v) of the NEC, I would verify your volt meter is working
correctly, and check for any potential voltage leakage into the dead
circuit.

Fill us in, on what you found.

later,

tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com