Norminn

Dave wrote:
Hello All,
I have a 1920s home with a basement garage. On either side of the
driveway leading into the garage, there are retaining walls which are
about 3-4 feet high. The retaining wall on the left basically continues
into the house and becomes the outside foundation wall.
This left side retaining wall shifted at some point due to improper
drainage in the backyard, resulting in a 1/4 to 1/2 inch crack in the
basement garage just inside the garage door. It's obviously the
retaining wall that is moving, even though the crack is in the
foundation wall inside the garage just inside the door. The crack is
diagonal running from outside the door to a low point inside the
garage.
Anyway, what would be the best method to fix this kind of crack? ANy
Thanks,
David

I know almost nothing about masonry, but just offer a couple of
thoughts. First, what area of the country do you live and how deep does
the ground freeze? The problem may be more of improper draining along
with freeze/thaw pushing the wall. Fix that, and perhaps the crack can
be mortared? What is "uphill" from your retaining wall? Does the wall
have drainage holes? Soil type?