Michael A. Terrell

JazzMan wrote:

I've got a new camcorder, the old Cannon bit the dust.
Unfortunately the 6V gel-cell battery that I used to
power it won't power my new camcorder because that one
needs 8.4V. So, what I need (I think) is a DC-DC converter
that takes down to 5.5V and bumps it up to a nice clean
8.4VDC @ 1A (the rating on the A/C adapter that came with
the camera). Is this something that's possible?

Next up, I want to build a nice NiMH charging circuit
that uses temperature to control the charging cycle. I know
it's a bit more complicated than that, but does anyone have
some good sources I can start learning at? I've been using
the cheap timer chargers but I find that typically the AA
cells are too damaged to be reliable after only 10-20 chargning
cycles.

Next one's more difficult, I think. I want to make some
exhaust temperature pyrometers. I bought some thermocouple
wire, and want to use stainless steel tubing to make the
actual probe with. I'll weld one end of a short length of
tube closed with my TIG, and I'll use a compression fitting
with a 1/16" NPT pipe to actually install the probe into the
exaust tube at the head. Do I need to weld the ends of the
thermocouple wire together to establish a junction? Or will
twisting the ends together work? Also, I'd like to pot it in
something to electrically insulate the wire from the housing,
what can I use? I'll be making half a dozen of these so that
I can do cylinder to cylinder comparisons.

Any suggestions, sources, and/or ideas would ge greatly
appreciated!

JazzMan

This is better suited to news:sci.electronics.basics

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida