Michael A. Terrell

NSM wrote:

What is it the Marines say? "Lead or follow but get out of my way"? I once
got a new job and was sent to head office for a week's training as a HVAC
estimator. On Wednesday they told me I could leave now, since in two days
I'd learned everything I could be taught and I hadn't been too subtle about
it.

I wrote software to calculate the cost of retrofitting older homes
with better insulation and storm windows in 1986. It also created a
B.O.M. and a sheet of calculations on how long it would take to pay back
the cost to upgrade.

There was already one commercial product on the market. It took two
or three hours to enter all the data into the forms, and reloading three
different paper forms into the printer. It leased for $1,000 a month.
I did it on a Commodore 128 with three printers, and you could enter the
data and do the calculations in under 15 minutes. Total cost was a
couple hundred dollars. It was fun to see people jump when three
different dot matrix printers started spitting out paper on the shelves
behind them.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell