Edwin Pawlowski

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
oups.com...
Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between laminated and
engineered flooring?

Laminate is a plastic material. The top is a high pressure material,
similar, but tougher than the old Formic countertops. Thee is usually a
center layer and a bottom. The top is the design of course. It is 100%
synthetic. Better brands are very durable. I put some down on my stairs
and entryway. Still looks as good as the day it was installed. While it
has a wood pattern, it is not real wood and I can tell the difference.
www.wilsonart.com is what I have. The foyer is a marble type of appearance
in 15 x 15 blocks.

Engineered wood is a plywood type of material. The top layer is the "good
wood" stained and finished with a durable coating. Some are guaranteed for
15 years. The other layers are criss-crossed, just like plywood. Unlike
regular hardwood, it can be laid over concrete slab with the proper barrier.
In my family room and downstairs hallway, I used stuff from
www.mannington.com They also make a laminate.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/