Ken Grunke

Uwe wrote:

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

With a lantern style, you have to tweak the height of the
cutting edge each time you replace it.

Yes, this was actually the main reason for me to consider an alternative to
the lamppost style.
As I said I do not do production work and I am not a trained machinist, I
sometimes 'design as I cut' and along with that goes a fair amount of
changing bits, a real pain with the old style holders and a source a great
possible error.

Uwe

I've made several square cutter blocks (European style, sort of) by
milling the slots for toolbits while mounted in place on the compound.

When milling the slots, shim the block up a distance equal to half the
thickness of the intended toolbit, and use an endmill in the lathe
that's a bit larger than toolbit size so there's a little room for
packing under the bit to fine-tune it's height. Drill and tap for 2
setscrews over the slots.

Mine have two cutter bits per block, pointing in opposite directions. I
usually put a righthand bit in one side, and a left in the other.
Once I get the toolbit set to the correct height on each of the
half-dozen blocks I made, I have a poor man's quick-change tool
system--not indexable, but I never really needed that.

Ken Grunke