PJx

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:03:55 -0500, Harry Everhart
wrote:

Insulating the pipes will help save some energy, but I agree it's not
going to solve your problem. They do make recirculating pump gizmos
that will either keep it hot all the time or that have a button you
push when you expect to want hot water. They pumps are located near
the point of use and return the water back into the cold water line, so
it doesn't go down the drain. I think the push the button models may
also get the water there faster than running it down the sink, because
the pump pushes the water faster than pressure through the faucet would.

I am working on this problem now. Our pipes in Florida are in the
concrete slab. The concrete is a heat sink and it sucks the heat out of
the hot water right away. I am moving the water heater and putting
insulated hot water lines overhead. Do not use a circulator because you
will be continuously heating the concrete slab a big waste of energy. I
am planning to use a tankless water heater - put it right next to the
bathroom - and run one insulated hot water line to the kitchen.
Harry

I did that to my house in Austin. I used 1/2 inch cpvc and double
insulated it. It was 3/4 copper I disconnected.
I used the foam sticks and then wrapped them with more insulation
and wrapped that with plastic to hold it all together. It was so
nice to finally have hot water waiting for me instead of me waiting
for it.

PJ