Michael A. Terrell

NSM wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

The L3-Com prototype was so poorly designed we kept the mockup on
display in the Manufacturing Engineering office for everyone to see how
not to do things. It was flimsy, poorly laid out and would have been a
nightmare on the production floor.

A lot of the software out there is not designed any better. I worked for
three years on very large database systems. Occasionally, for amusement, I
would tell my co-workers that as I walked in the door on my first day I was
concerned that I would be unable to measure up to the knowledge and skill of
the other people there. Inevitably they would break out in hysterical
laughter, tears streaming down their faces.

My first day on the job I was assigned a "Trainer" to bring me up to
speed and warned that I only had six weeks to get up to at least 70% of
the work produced by the existing techs. By the end of the first day I
was repairing modules the trainer thought were scrap. The start of the
next week I got my test stamp five weeks early, and the following Monday
a "Committee" of angry techs arrived at my bench and threatened me.
They ordered me to reduce my output, because I was making everyone else
look bad. I smiled and gave them three options. They could work
harder, they could work faster, or they could get out of my face because
I wasn't working up to my ability yet and they weren't going to stop
me. I made some enemies, and a lot of friends. I offered to teach them
better techniques and logical troubleshooting. Some took the offer and
got better, while others just grumbled and insisted they were the best
techs because they had been there for 15 years or more.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida