Nate Perkins

(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

In article 01, Nate
Perkins wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

In article .com,
"Charlie Self" wrote:
Doug Miller states:

On my planet, Saddam is still a murderous tyrant. Has that notion
been
debunked on yours?

Nobody has even suggested Saddam Hussein was less than a murderous
tyrant. What others, and I, feel is that he was not a direct threat
to the U.S. at any time, not likely to become one in a rational time
frame, and thus was not worth the expenditure of life and treasure
that has been applied.

Oh, yes, someone has suggested that, at least implicitly: Nate, in
his response to me, finally acknowledged that there might have been
reasons other than WMDs for invading Iraq, and implied that they've
been debunked too.

Not all of them.

Not on my planet, anyway.

Maybe on Nate's.

Absolutely wrong, Doug. I never ever said that Saddam was less than a
murderous tyrant.

What I said was that Iraq had no WMDs and no ties to Al Qaeda, and
therefore the primary stated reasons for war have been debunked.

Those were not the "primary stated reasons" for the war, as you
continue to falsely claim; rather, they were two reasons among many.
And neither one has been "debunked" as you falsely claim: It's not
proven that Iraq had no WMDs, and they definitely *did* have ties to
al Qaida and numerous other terror organizations.

Those were the primary stated reasons for the war. They figure
prominently in every major speech the administration gave at the time,
including the President's letter to Congress declaring the decision to
go to war. It figures clearly in every major policy speech of the time,
including the Cincinatti speech.

How quickly you forget about all the claims of yellow cake from Niger,
all the unmanned drones that were supposed to deliver WMD to the US.
All the talk of aluminum tubes supposedly for uranium enrichment. All
the talk of "mobile weapons labs" that are since likewise discredited.
Tons and tons of VX nerve gas, and chemical weapons ready to deploy
around Baghdad with 45 minutes notice. Did you forget Powell's entire
speech to the UN, too?

Bah. You are just in denial.

The really tragic thing is that now the administration has dragged the
US into Iraq, there seems to be very little thought given to what must
be done to win there. We still try to fight it on the cheap, and we act
like positive speeches are a substitute for effective policy and
actions. God forbid the Bushies should put aside their hubris for a
minute and think about strategy and performance.