Nicholas

1/4" routers are good for smaller work...

1/2" for bigger.

I tend to use my 1/4" for adding decorative mouldings and my 1/2" for eg
routing out stair housings.

1/4" probably getting used more and if I can do the job with my trend 1/4" I
will as it's easier to manage

cheers

Nicholas

--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

--

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Newbie" wrote in message

| When you get into larger sizes and heavier work, do you want that large
bit
| spinning at 22,000 rpm on a hefty shank or a skinny one? That would be
like
| putting your 1/2 ton pickup on 13" wheels with 6.50 tires.

Well...don't bit designers keep some ratios in mind?

Sure, some bits are only made in 1/2" for that reason. Same principal
applies though, a larger diameter shank will always be superior in collet
holding, flex, shear strength, etc.