I have a new coil on the way and now I am looking at real, official
alignment tools.

Thanks for all the responses!

I ended up ordering some tools from Digi-Key, as I was ordering some
other parts from them as well. I got their 25-piece set from Aven Tools
(243-1017, Aven 13.500) and also the four-blade ceramic adjuster from
Aven (243-1014, Aven 13.230). Both items were made in Taiwan. The
25-piece set seems to be a reasonable mix of tools for the price, but
I'm not quite as happy with the ceramic adjuster; it just looks cheap.
Time will tell.

To answer some other points that were raised, my metal screwdriver was
not a very good fit in the coil slug. It tended to contact just the
sides of the slug's rectangular recess; / is the blade:
___
| |
| /|
| / |
|/ |
|___|

The crack started at one of the corners of the recess. The new 25-piece
set has enough different variations on a flat-bladed screwdriver tip
that I think I'll be able to find one that fits the recess nicely.

These coils were brand new and had no Glyptal or other sealer on them,
but I have seen such sealers used on coils, pots, and screws on factory-
built gear. Before I soldered the coils onto the board, I ran the cores
all the way up and down to make sure they would turn easily; the
manufacturer's instructions mentioned that they might be stiff. One of
them was a little stiffer than the others, but not markedly so. Still,
one of them got very stiff after I soldered it to the board.

Thanks again!

Matt Roberds